Disclosure: All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
October 25, 2020 (updated)
The Philippines now has over 370,000 coronavirus cases.
Top five localities (province/HUC/ICC for the day) is back to Luzon with Quezon City taking the lead and 4 provinces in CALABARZON contributing to the biggest haul.
- The Sunday recovery haul has almost 15,000 new recoveries.
- NCR contributed to around one-fourth of the total cases in the Philippines today (a much lower percentage compared to the previous days).
- 43 deaths mostly from NCR (16) and CALABARZON (8). More than half of the deaths were recent (October – 29).
- Cordillera Administrative Region remains in the top five today.
- There are six regions with triple digit cases – NCR, Regions IVA, III, VI, CAR, and X.
- There were around 27,000 tests added to October 24, 2020 (since the Philippine Red Cross has decreased testing pending reimbursement from PhilHealth the past tests done).
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- Outside of the National Capital Region, the province of Benguet had the most cases reported, followed by Rizal and Davao del Sur, yesterday.
- Nine cities in NCR were among the top 20 cities/municipalities. The rest were urbanized cities outside of NCR.
- Itogon in Benguet Province is a first class municipality with a population of around 60,000. This is a mining town and the site of Binga Dam. The municipality reported its first case on June 2 (swabbed May 21) and had scant number of cases (5 in June, 3 in July, 8 in August, and 17 in September) in the past months. From October 1-24, it recorded 122 cases and had one reported death.
The world is now closing into another milestone – 43,000,000 coronavirus cases. And because it is a weekend, there is a slowdown in the global reporting for both new cases and new deaths.
The United States continued to have the highest number of cases and deaths reported yesterday as it is now in its third wave.
Mexico displaces Peru for ninth spot among the world’s top ten countries with coronavirus cases.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.69 percent
- The US remains on top among countries with new cases and new deaths and is likely beginning a third wave. Out of 50 states, 29 states in the US reported four digit figures overnight.
- Six countries in Europe landed in the top 10 new cases yesterday – France, UK, Italy, Belgium, Poland and Czechia.
.The week in review
- Increase in cases in the pediatric age group and the senior citizen age group compared to the previous week.
- There is an increase in deaths in the 40-59 years old age group compared to the past week (by 0.4%).
- Note the significant decline in number of cases over the past week. The color of the curve denotes that the decline in cases is correlated with the positivity rate in testing results. At least 12-15 tests are being done for every confirmed case in the country.
- The number of tests had decline over the week because of the controversy on reimbursements between the PRC and PhilHealth. For the information of the public, PRC alone contributes to 20-25 percent of the number of tests done daily in the country. However, in spite of the decrease in tests from 10 facilities of PRC, the positivity rate remains less than 10 percent.
- While the absence of PRC testing is not creating a significant impact on the positivity rate in the Philippines, it would be interesting to see how much lower the positivity rate could go had PRC continued to test more patients.
- Among the neighboring ASEAN nations, Malaysia is seeing a rise in cases, while Indonesia is maintaining its average at more than 4,000 cases/day. Note, however, that in while Indonesia has stayed at >4,000/day, its positivity rate is more than 10 percent. It means that they’re not testing enough – for every 7 patients, one is positive.
- The importance of testing cannot be overemphasized. Only when we test can we find positive patients. In addition, getting the results promptly is as vital as the test. Late results and late reporting is useless.